Sumter P-15's
        

                              
History

The American Legion Baseball Program was first situated in South Carolina in 1929. It is a source of great pride and satisfaction that two distinguished Sumter men, members of Post 15, played a major part in starting this fine program in our State. The late George D. Levy was Department Commander and the late John B. Duffie was Department Athletic Officer.

The Sumter Post sponsored a team in 1929, and has sponsored a team every year since that date, 83 consecutive years. Sumter is the only Post in South Carolina which has had a team since American Legion Baseball came to the Palmetto State. Research at the National Level indicates that Sumter has the second oldest program in the World in continuous operation.

During the first sixteen years of the local program. Legionnaire John J. Riley served as Post Athletic Officer and Head Coach. He gave up the reins when he was elected to the United States House of Representatives from the Second Congressional District in 1945. Riley Park, Sumter's baseball field, was named in honor of Congressman Riley in 1947. He played a leading part in the construction of the field.

Athletic Officer in charge of the Sumter Program since Congressman Riley have been the late Gifford W. Shaw and D.B. "Skeet" James, who held the job from 1947 to 1972. Thomas "Bucko" Edens held the position from 1972 to 2000. Jimmy Hodge took over the position in 2001.

Sumter has hosted many Sectional and Regional Tournaments during these years.

There have been many other Legionnaires too numerous to mention who have contributed much to the success of our program, but grateful recognition is given to the entire Post membership, and to the many loyal, ardent baseball fans throughout the Sumter area for their support.

Website Builder